Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Pop-Up Card in a Box

Today being Father's Day and all, I decided to make this sweet little box card for my husband. I followed the super-easy tutorial from papercrafter45 over on her YouTube channel [click here to go to the video]. This is the second tutorial of hers that I've followed and I can't tell you how wonderfully clear her directions are! Everything step-by-step, with crystal clear photos to make sure you get it exactly right.

If you're new to papercrafting, like I am, please do yourself a favour and go check out this channel. You won't be sorry!

The pop up box from the front

 I used Teresa Collins' World Traveler 6x6 paper pad for this project. I added some Tim Holtz tags and rub-ons and a couple of Jolee's tool stickers as well. I used Michaels' Recollections card stock for the box itself and I have to say that I am less than thrilled with it. As soon as I get the chance (and some money) I'm going to get a stash of both the Bazzill that Kathryn Kreiger at Kathryn Scraps recommends and the Paper Accents that Kathy Files from Paper Phenomenon uses and see if I like either of those better.

I'm still working on getting my matting perfectly straight - having a Band-aid on my thumb didn't help, either. (Tip: don't pare apples for a pie while trying to communicate something important to your spouse. One or the other will suffer.)

I did as she did in the tutorial and triple matted it and I was very pleased with the result. I didn't ink the edges of my paper, mainly because the box is a tiny 1 1/2" wide (not including the box flaps) by 3" tall and the only colour that I thought looked good was the dark Distress Inks' Walnut Stain and I didn't like all that darkness on my tiny box.

A side view
The only thing that didn't work for me is that my card did not fit in an envelope for a 3x3 card, as she said it would. Maybe I overfilled mine? No idea. But it wasn't really a problem,  because I just got out my We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board and made one a little bigger (the 3 1/2 x 3 1/2" size) and that was just dandy. I had used the last piece of matching patterned paper for the 3x3 box, but I used a paper from the same collection for the second envelope, so it went well enough.

If you head over to papercrafter45's YouTube channel, tell her that Laine sent you!

1 comment:

  1. LOVEEEE your card!!! Those tool stickers are really awesome & fun!! Perfect! Thanks so much for sharing the best Father's Day card I've ever seen! And thanks, also, for the shout-out … it's much appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete